Guilt-Free Macaroni and Cheese
I tweak recipes to make over full-fat classics. Over the years, I've updated this recipe to use low-fat products, and my family really enjoys it. —Kristen Miller, Glendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 10 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, whisk flour, seasonings and milks; stir in onion. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in process cheese until melted. Drain macaroni; transfer to a 13X9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour sauce over macaroni; stir to coat
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 343 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 765mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat.
Originally published as Macaroni and Cheese in Light Recipes 2015