Guilt-Free Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a blender, combine the milk, cottage cheese, onion, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper;cover and process until smooth. Pour into a bowl; stir in the macaroni and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until edges are bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 268 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 515mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Jul 16, 2012
I've never used cottage cheese or skim milk in my old version mac and cheese so I was very skeptical but it was very good and even my husband liked it.This is my new way of cooking mac and cheese.
Apr 29, 2010
OK, so not what I would consider traditional mac n cheese. However, it is a tasty dish that I would make again. I just can't think of it as mac n cheese.
Apr 28, 2010
Apr 14, 2009
Sometimes i add a Tbsp of pesto or sun dried tomatoes for a bit of a change. Great recipe. Ronzoni Smart Choice pasta has higher fiber and is still white which is great too.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.