Guilt-Free Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a blender, combine the milk, cottage cheese, onion, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper;cover and process until smooth. Pour into a bowl; stir in the macaroni and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Transfer to a 1-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until edges are bubbly.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 268 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 515mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
Jul 16, 2012
I've never used cottage cheese or skim milk in my old version mac and cheese so I was very skeptical but it was very good and even my husband liked it.This is my new way of cooking mac and cheese.
Apr 29, 2010
OK, so not what I would consider traditional mac n cheese. However, it is a tasty dish that I would make again. I just can't think of it as mac n cheese.
Apr 28, 2010
Apr 14, 2009
Sometimes i add a Tbsp of pesto or sun dried tomatoes for a bit of a change. Great recipe. Ronzoni Smart Choice pasta has higher fiber and is still white which is great too.