Guilt-Free Berry Trifle Recipe
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 9 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 3/4 cup cold water, divided
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 loaves (10-1/2 ounces each) angel food cake, cubed
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1. In a small heavy saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar substitute, 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add strawberries; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- 2. In another heavy saucepan, combine the remaining sugar substitute, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add blueberries; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining lemon juice. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- 3. Prepare pudding according to package directions, using fat-free milk. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- 4. Place half of the cake cubes in a 4-qt. trifle bowl. Layer with strawberry mixture, half of the pudding, remaining cake cubes, blueberry mixture and remaining pudding. Top with whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 16 servings.
1 cup: 180 calories, 2g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 369mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Reviews for Guilt-Free Berry Trifle
"This was such an outstanding recipe! My husband and I enjoyed it so much that absolutely none of it went to waste. It is light and flavorful without ruining your diet."