Guilt-Free Berry Trifle
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 9 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 3/4 cup cold water, divided
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 loaf-shaped angel food cakes (10-1/2 ounces each), cubed
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar substitute, 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add strawberries; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- In another heavy saucepan, combine the remaining sugar substitute, cornstarch and water until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add blueberries; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in remaining lemon juice. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- In a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Place half of the cake cubes in a 4-qt. trifle bowl. Layer with strawberry mixture, half of the pudding, remaining cake cubes, blueberry mixture and remaining pudding. Top with whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 180 calories, 2g fat (2g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 369mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Dec 15, 2010
This was such an outstanding recipe! My husband and I enjoyed it so much that absolutely none of it went to waste. It is light and flavorful without ruining your diet.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.