Guacamole Mousse with Salsa
People who try this comment on the beautiful color and great combination of cool creamy guacamole topped with zesty salsa. This unique dish really captures the flavor of the Southwest.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 3 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch white pepper
- 3 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 5 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, diced
- 1 to 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 teaspoons lime juice
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a food processor, cover and process the avocados, lemon juice, chili powder, salt and pepper until smooth. Place in a bowl; add tomatoes, sour cream, cream, mayonnaise and onion.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute. Cook and stir over low heat until gelatin is dissolved. Stir into avocado mixture. Pour into a 6-cup mold coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with cilantro. Chill until set.
- Meanwhile, combine salsa ingredients; chill. To serve, unmold mousse onto a platter; serve with the salsa.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 132 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 69mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Guacamole Mousse with Salsa in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.