Serve guacamole that’s fresh, flavorful and low fat! “I make this for get-togethers, and it’s always a hit,” writes Christine Schenher of San Clemente, California. “It’s delicious year-round, but is also a great way to use up summer produce!”
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted, divided
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth or one coffee filter and place over a bowl. Place yogurt in prepared strainer; cover yogurt with edges of cheesecloth. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove yogurt from cheesecloth and discard liquid from bowl. In a small bowl, beat the yogurt, sour cream and one avocado until blended. Stir in the tomatoes, onion, jalapenos, cilantro and salt. In another bowl, mash remaining avocado with lime juice; stir into guacamole. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 3 cups.
Originally published as Guacamole for the Gang in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p33