Gruyere-Turnip Mashed Potatoes
I pep up plain mashed potatoes by cooking and mashing them with turnips and garlic. Family and friends request this dish for holiday dinners.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the potatoes, turnips and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat milk and butter until butter is melted. Drain potato mixture; mash with milk mixture. Stir in the cheese, onions, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 200 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Garlic-Gruyere Smashed Sprouts in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011