Gruyere & Prosciutto Strata
Prosciutto, sweet onions and Gruyere combine for a perfect make-ahead brunch dish, and there are never any leftovers. — Patricia Lavell, Islamorada, Florida
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 ounces thin slices prosciutto, chopped
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped (4 cups)
- 1 carton (8 ounces) egg substitute
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups cubed French bread
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto; cook and stir until crisp. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Add onions to the same pan; cook and stir until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg substitute, milk, mustard and pepper. Stir in bread and onions. Reserve 2 tablespoons cooked prosciutto for topping; stir remaining prosciutto into bread mixture.
- Transfer half of the mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with half of the cheese. Top with remaining bread mixture. Separately cover and refrigerate strata and reserved prosciutto overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with reserved prosciutto. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.