Gruyere Potatoes au Gratin
Rich and creamy, this simple-to-fix dish will make guests think you fussed. The recipe calls for packaged hash brown potatoes so there’s no peeling or cutting. —Suzan Ward, Post Falls, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 package (30 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese or Swiss cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine the Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses.
- Layer half of the hash brown mixture and half of the cheese in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Repeat layers. Pour cream over top.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until edges begin to brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 380 calories, 29g fat (17g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 450mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Gruyere Potatoes Gratin in Country Woman Christmas 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.