Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 ounces lamb stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces pork stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large green pepper, cut into wedges
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups cubed eggplant
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen sliced okra
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Chopped green onions, optional
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil; set aside. In a food processor, combine the onion, green pepper and tomatoes; cover and process until blended.
- In a large saucepan, combine the eggplant, water, okra and onion mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 7-9 minutes.
- Stir in the peanut butter, salt, pepper and browned meat. Cook, uncovered, until heated through, about 10 minutes. Serve with rice. If desired, top with chopped green onions.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 230 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 fat.
Mar 3, 2008
It wasn't that I didn't like the recipe, it was just missing something...I've had many African dishes as my boyfriend is from there and I just can't place what ingredient is missing. I'd also add about a cup less of eggplant as well--there was too much. All and all, an okay recipe.