Ground Turkey and Hominy
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) hominy, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings; heat through. Add hominy and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 287 calories, 16g fat (4g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 989mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 5, 2014
This was good although I would leave the cinnamon out also or maybe not use as much. It was overpowering. I would make it again but with less tomatoes as my husband can't eat them that much. The kids ate them in tortillas with sour cream and cheese. The best part was how quick and easy it was!
Sep 13, 2012
Very good! I doubled the spices. I don't recommended using cinnamon. I put the meat in a whole wheat tortilla it was very good the whole family enjoyed it:)
Aug 11, 2010
This recipes was just OK to me. The addition of the cinnimon and allspice gave it a taste the wasn't awful but it also wasn't great. I may try it again without those two spices. If I do, I wlll let you know how it turned out.
Feb 4, 2008
I really like the cinnamon in it! I added a quarter of a head of green cabbage (chopped) with the onions and that tasted yummy. I served it on brown rice; I would bump up the spices if I did that again. My husband liked it in a flour tortilla with chedder cheese and some salsa.RoseMaya
Jan 25, 2008
This is wonderful!!!!! I make mine with turkey breast shredded or just cut up and throw everything in the crockpot. It is a wonderful dinner and low cal to boot. Thanks so much for sharing this.