Ground Beef Biscuit Stew
“For a different taste, I sometimes add a little chili powder to the meat mixture and top this stew with a prepared cornbread mix,“ says Darlene Brenden, a field editor from Salem, Oregon.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, mixed vegetables and tomato sauce.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for biscuits, in a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk and mustard until mixture forms a soft dough. Add 6 tablespoons cheese.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto stew. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 348 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 544mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Mixed Vegetable Biscuit Pie in Taste of Home February/March 2006