Ground Beef and Veggies
Fresh tomato and green pepper add splashes of color to this meaty main dish from Pauletta Bushnell of Lebanon, Oregon. "It's perfect for a family dinner or as a last-minute meal for unexpected company," she notes.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 8 slices cheddar or process American cheese, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water, rice, onion, bouillon and mustard. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cut six cheese slices into small pieces; add t rice mixture with green pepper and tomato. Cut remaining cheese slices diagonally into four triangles; arrange over top. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand until liquid is absorbed and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 327 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 465mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.
Originally published as Ground Beef and Veggies in Quick Cooking July/August 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips