Ground Beef and Barley Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook beef, onion and celery over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours or until barley is tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 168 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 452mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 13g protein.
Reviews for Ground Beef and Barley Soup
"My family loved it. prepared it exactly is a recipe directs. My wife is not crazy about soup but she absolutely loves this one. It has so much flavor."
"It was delicious!"
"Very good! My husband and 1-year-old daughter love it!"
"Yummy and easy to make. My whole family loved it!"
"I loved this recipe and so did my husband. It was easy to prepare and so delicious. I did make variations to the recipe by adding corn, and peas that we had harvested from our garden the previous summer. And of course the carrots we used were also from our garden. This addition made the recipe even better. Then the next time when we had it as leftovers I made dumplings and wow did it disappear then too. Love the recipe! Thanks so much for sharing it with us."