Rhonda Van Gelderen of Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin presses seasoned ground beef into a pie plate to form the crust of this comforting dish. "It's a terrific time-saver because you don't brown the beef separately," she writes.
Recommended: 22 Ground Beef Skillet Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, 3/4 cup tomato sauce, bread crumbs, onion, green pepper if desired and seasonings. Press evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. pie plate, forming a crust.
- In another large bowl, combine the tomato paste and remaining tomato sauce. Stir in the rice and 3/4 cup cheese; pour into crust. Place pie plate on a baking sheet.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink. Uncover; drain. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Ground Beef N Rice Pie in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p63