Grits Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1. Crumble sausage into a large skillet. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot grits into the eggs; return all to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Add the sausage, 1 cup cheese, milk and butter, stirring until the butter is melted.
- 2. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until the top begins to brown. Yield: 10 servings.
1/2 cup: 280 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 602mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Grits Casserole
"The sausage makes this a nice change of pace from my usual cheese grits recipe. Will try making it with bulk Italian sausage for even more flavor!"
"After living in Atlanta for 35 years, we moved to California where many of my new friends have never eaten grits. I thought this might be the perfect way to introduce them to this southern treat. I prepared this casserole for a group of church ladies and they couldn't believe grits were so tasty. I read some of the reviews before preparing this, so I used spicy sausage and 8 oz. of cheddar cheese as others suggested. I will be making this again and again."
"This is a great recipe full of great flavor easy to make and great the next day.I will easily make this again. I think i will try with different kinds of cheeses though."
"This is delicious!!! I added more cheese, 1/2 c. butter and 3/4 c. milk like the others. Also diced canned jalapenos and tony's instead of salt."
"I took this to a meeting this morning and everyone liked it. I think it would be good using hot sausage."
"This was an absolutely amazing dish. The only change the next time I make it is going to be MORE CHEESE!."
"I've been making this recipe for years and it's very good. Mine uses 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup milk, but other than that it's about the same."