We like the tart, peppery taste of capers. No one likes a bland veggie, and caper butter helps peppers, squash and zucchini shine. —Danyelle Crum, Indian Trail, North Carolina
Recommended: 52 Date Night Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 medium crookneck or yellow summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 medium sweet yellow or orange pepper, quartered
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, quartered
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 green onions, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and capers; cook 2 minutes. Stir in parsley.
- Brush vegetables with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grill zucchini, squash and peppers, covered, over medium heat 4-5 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender, basting occasionally with butter mixture. Grill mushrooms and onions, covered, 1-2 minutes on each side or until tender, basting occasionally with butter mixture.
- Cut vegetables as desired; transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle with remaining butter mixture. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Veggies with Caper Butter in Taste of Home June/July 2016, p24