Grilled Veggie Sandwiches
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small yellow summer squash
- 1 small eggplant
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into rings
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cut the zucchini, squash and eggplant into 1/4-in.-thick strips; spritz with cooking spray. Spritz onion and red pepper with cooking spray.
- Grill vegetables, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm. Grill buns, cut side down, over medium heat for 30-60 seconds or until toasted.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, garlic, salt and pepper; spread over bun bottoms. Top with vegetables. Replace bun tops.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 231 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 438mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 10g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Jan 10, 2011
Delish! Forget the negative rude comment. In fact, the comment has no truth to it.
Aug 28, 2010
This is in answer to Juansmom: Most cooking sprays do have some oil in them, but their secret "low-cal" ingredient is lecithin. Although we tend to think of lecithin as "unnatural," in fact, it is quite natural, and much of the lecithin used today is extracted from the ubiquitous soy bean in much the same way oil is. In addition to its oil-like qualities, there is also evidence that it may lower cholesterol (some studies have had conflicting results, however). If anyone is interested in reading further about this much used but little known ingredient, I recommend a trip to Wikipedia.
Aug 19, 2010
Cooking Spray? Really? Are we incapable of brushing on some olive oil? "Cooking spray" doesnt even sound like it is made out of anything real. Why don't we just spray with WD40? I'm SOOO tired of so-called "healthy" recipes that use ingredients that are not natural foods. YUCK!!!
May 18, 2009
I was a bit skeptical when it said I wouldn't miss the meat - I didn't!!! This sandwich was so delicious - made it on my George Foreman Grill. Can't wait until lunch tomorrow so I can have another!