Grilled Veggie Sandwiches with Cilantro Pesto
I first ate this sandwich while vacationing in Sedona, Arizona, and fell in love with it. When I returned home, I developed this one that tastes just like the original. —Carolyn Phenicie, Titusville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 20 min. + standing
- 2/3 cup packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large sweet red peppers
- 4 slices eggplant (1/2 inch thick)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- For pesto, place cilantro, parsley, Parmesan cheese and garlic in a small food processor; pulse until chopped. Add water and pine nuts; process until blended. While processing, slowly add oil.
- Grill peppers, covered, over medium heat until skins are blistered and blackened, turning occasionally, 10-15 minutes. Immediately place peppers in a large bowl; let stand, covered, 20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin. Cut peppers in half; remove stems and seeds.
- Lightly spritz both sides of eggplant slices with cooking spray; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat until tender, 3-5 minutes on each side. Top with peppers; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Grill, covered, until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes; remove from grill.
- Spread roll bottoms with pesto. Top with eggplant stacks and roll tops.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 310 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 755mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Grilled Eggplant-Roasted Red Pepper Sandwiches in Healthy Cooking August/September 2008