Grilled Veggie Pizza Recipe
- 8 small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small sweet yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 small sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 prebaked 12-inch thin whole wheat pizza crust
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, onion, vinegar, water, 3 teaspoons oil and seasonings. Transfer to a grill wok or basket. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- 2. Prepare grill for indirect heat. Brush crust with remaining oil; spread with pizza sauce. Top with grilled vegetables, tomatoes and cheese. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cheese is melted. Rotate pizza halfway through cooking to ensure evenly browned crust. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: If you do not have a grill wok or basket, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.
1 slice: 274 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 634mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Grilled Veggie Pizza
"Delicious recipe. I didn't have any white wine vinegar on hand so used balsamic. Also used less cheese since I thought Iit called for too much. Even with the changes it was still delicious. My family devoured it."
"This was very very good. I actually used a locally made cheese that is sort of a taste between mozzarella and provolone. Next time I make it I would probably either season the veggies a little more or maybe use a red wine or balsamic vinegar."
"I forgot to say...I made my own pizza dough, so that might have made a difference in the time the veggies needed."
"My family wasn't too excited when they heard "no meat," but every single one of them ended up loving it!The only thing I did differently (because I didn't have a grill wok or basket) was, after combining the first veggies/seasonings/liquids, I took out the zucchini and grilled them directly on the grill bars for 6-8 minutes. The rest of the veggies were soft enough to be perfectly done when the pizza was done."
"THis is absolutely D-LISH. Even my husband, "the meat eater", loved this pizza."