Use some of your fresh garden bounty to build these hearty, unique subs. Basil-lemon mayo adds terrific flavor. —Kathy Hewitt, Cranston, Rhode Island
- 3 large sweet red peppers
- 3 medium red onions
- 3 large zucchini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 submarine buns, split
- 24 slices cheddar cheese
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup hummus
- Cut the red peppers into eighths; cut onions and zucchini into 1/2-in. slices. Brush vegetables with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill vegetables in batches, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Cool.
- Combine the mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice and garlic; spread over bun bottoms. Layer with cheese, grilled vegetables and tomatoes. Spread hummus over bun tops; replace tops. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches in Taste of Home August/September 2010, p28
Reviews for Grilled Vegetable Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review