I was delighted to find this recipe, a healthy version of burgers with little fat, but flavorful ingredients, including carrot, onion and apple. I make these burgers with either ground turkey or chicken.
Recommended: Top 10 Burger Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons shredded peeled apple
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into two patties.
- Grill, broil or pan-fry for 7-8 minutes on each side or until no longer pink and a thermometer reads 165°. Serve on buns. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Turkey Burgers in Reminisce Extra June 2004, p52