Grilled Tomato with Fresh Corn
Grilling the tomatoes and corn makes this side dish feel special and it's so simple to do. I like to serve it with French bread, but it's "killer" dished up on its own. —Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 tomato slices (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- GRILLED CORN TOPPING:
- 2 large ears sweet corn, husks removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced ripe olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese
- Toasted French bread baguette slices, optional
- Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Brush corn with 1 tablespoon oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned, turning occasionally. Grill tomato slices 1-2 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Cool corn slightly. Cut corn from cobs; transfer to a small bowl. Stir in green onion, parsley, olives, capers, garlic, lemon juice, lemon peel and remaining oil.
- Serve corn mixture over tomatoes; sprinkle with cheese. If desired, serve with baguette slices.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without baguette slices): 123 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Grilled Tomatoes with Fresh Corn Gremolata in Country Woman August/September 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.