Grilled Tomato Sandwiches
After having one too many BLT's one summer, I started making these instead. I actually like these sandwiches a lot better! --Wendy Stenman
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 slices tomato (3/4 inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 round cheese focaccia bread or focaccia bread of your choice (12 inches), halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups torn romaine or spinach
- Sprinkle one side of tomato slices with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Place salt side down on paper towels for 10 minutes. Repeat with second side. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic; set aside.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Place bread cut side down on grill. Place tomatoes on grill. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until bread is golden brown.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with the vinegar, pepper and remaining salt. Spread mayonnaise mixture over bread. On the bottom half, layer tomatoes, artichokes and romaine; replace bread top. Cut into wedges; serve immediately.
TEST KITCHEN TIP The tomatoes must be sliced thick and grilled no more than the 2 minutes specified in the recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 495 calories, 21g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 1203mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Grilled Tomato Sandwiches in Test Kitchen Favorites Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.