Grilled Tomatillo Chicken
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 tomatillos, husks removed, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 6 pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Sour cream, optional
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub the grill rack to coat lightly. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-7 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 170°. Top with cheese; cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted.
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the tomatillos, lime juice, jalapenos and garlic; cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in the cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Serve tomatillo mixture and chicken with rice; dollop with sour cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 324 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 109mg cholesterol, 595mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 41g protein.
Oct 6, 2019
I’ve been making this recipe since it appeared in my magazine around 10 years ago. My husband requested it for dinner tonight. It’s an easy and flavorful dinner.
Nov 16, 2010
Yum, yum, yum! This was perfectly tart from the tomatillos and perfectly spicy from the jalapenos. I only used the juice from one lime, which I suspect is about 1/2 of what the recipe called for, and I used sweet and spicy jalapenos. It was perfect!!
Sep 19, 2010
This was wonderful, it was a little tart from all the lime but I added a little sugar and it was perfect.
Jul 16, 2010
i made th recipe exactly as it said maybe except the salt part cause i did add a bit more salt and im glad i did. next time i make this recipe i will cut down on the lime juice cause it was just to sour, but overall its an ok recipe, not my favorite!!!
Jul 12, 2010
This recipe was delicious and flavorful. A keeper! Next time I may try with thinner chicken breasts (ours were 8-9oz each) and possibly lightly seasoning the chicken before putting on the grill.
Jun 8, 2010
I loved this! I thought it was super simple and the flavors were fabulous! Even wrote about it on my own (humble) food blog! Thanks!
Jun 7, 2010
Wanted to try this recipe so I could harvest some of my cilantro before it went to seed. Sure glad I did. This was so delicious and there were layers of flavor. My husband gave it his stamp of approval "It's like there's a party in my mouth!" I also served it with some homemade salsa and tortilla chips.
Jun 3, 2010
The only problem with this recipe is I had to plan ahead for making this because it calls for quite a few items that I don't normally purchase when I go to the store. It was well worth it though. I will definitely be making this again.
May 30, 2010
I have never cooked with tomatillos before, so I was a little nervous. But it actually turned out pretty good! I didn't find it difficult at all and thought the flavors went well together. I did not substitute or add any other ingredients -- just made it as is. I would make this again for sure.
May 28, 2010
I found the sauce harder to make and don't usually keep tomatillos on hand, so it's not something you can just throw together. Nice flavor though and fun to try something different.