Grilled Tilapia Piccata Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil, divided
- 4 tilapia fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small bowl, whisk lemon peel, lemon juice, oil and garlic until blended; stir in capers and 2 tablespoons basil. Reserve 2 tablespoons mixture for drizzling cooked fish. Brush remaining mixture onto both sides of tilapia; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2. On a lightly oiled grill rack, grill tilapia, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat 3-4 minutes on each side or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. Drizzle with reserved lemon mixture; sprinkle with remaining basil. Yield: 4 servings.
Health Tip: Look for U.S. or Canadian tilapia that’s been farmed in closed tanks for the least impact on the environment.
1 fillet: 206 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 32g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Grilled Tilapia Piccata
"It was ok."
"I found this recipe very bland. If I make it again, I would add more spices. Minced jalapeno among others probably would help a lot. Sorry."
"Nice light fish dish. I did cook it in a frying pan because tilapia tends to fall apart on the grill."
"I made this recipe as is, and we thought it was okay, but not great. I'd eat it again, but it's not a favorite."
"Nice, light preparation. Made as is."
"Excellent and easy! I used dried basil rather than fresh and skipped the lemon peel since I didn't have any. I also didn't use the grill (wrong season) and cooked the fish in a skillet instead. Great flavor! I served it with asparagus and my kids ate the fish but I can't say that they loved it. I would absolutely make this again. Good flavor and easy to get on the table quickly."
"Love this recipe! didn't add the capers because I am just not a fan. Had some left over sauce and put it on the fresh broccoli that I put on the grill, it was amazing!"
"One word... WOW!"
"We grilled the Tilipia by putting foil on the grill then spraying the foil. There was extra vinaigrette so I added to my cooked portion & it was good."
"My husband thought our tilapia filets were too delicate to put on the grill (they were under 6 oz each), so I broiled them. The recipe said I could do that, right? :-) I think grilling would be a much better option, and will make them that way next time. Also, I am very used to using bottled lemon juice and have never minded it before ... but somehow it really stood out as kind of bitter and sour in this recipe. So, next time I will also use fresh lemon juice. I watch enough cooking shows to know that I should allways use fresh lemon juice, but I get lazy sometimes. Still, a very enjoyable recipe. Thank you for submitting it."
"Super easy to make and very flavorful. I broiled versus grilled and it turned out great. Definitely a redo."
"This dish is awesome. I'm not a fish fan but my husband is. I made it for his birthday and he loved it. I also really liked it and my 4 year old told me this morning he wanted that fish dish for dinner again tonight! Win!"