Grilled Sweet Potato & Jicama
My dad used to grill sweet potatoes and serve them with a simple vinaigrette. I've tweaked his recipe over the years to give this special side a little Southern twist.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Grill: 5 min.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded
- 1 medium jicama, peeled and julienned
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20-25 minutes or until almost tender. Drain; cool slightly.
- Place 1/2 cup oil, lime juice, cilantro, honey, vinegar, garlic and chipotle in a blender; cover and process until blended. Transfer to a small bowl; add jicama and toss to coat.
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes; brush with remaining oil. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until slices have grill marks and are tender.
- Arrange potatoes on a serving platter. With a slotted spoon, top with jicama. Drizzle salad with remaining dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 140 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Grilled Sweet Potato Salad with Blue Cheese and Jicama and Chipotle-Lime Dressing in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011