"For years, my husband worked for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service-so I've prepared fish all kinds of different ways. This variation of stuffed salmon gets high marks from my family." —Cathie Beard, Philomath, Oregon
Recommended: 5-Ingredient Healthy Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 whole salmon (8 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 2 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 4-1/2 teaspoons plus 1/4 cup lemon juice, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Remove head and tail from salmon if desired. Sprinkle the cavity with 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine the stuffing cubes, carrots, mushrooms, onion, parsley, 1/4 cup butter, egg substitute, 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, garlic and remaining salt and pepper; stuff cavity. Secure with metal skewers. Brush salmon with oil.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Prepare grill for indirect heat. Grill salmon, covered, over indirect medium heat for 40-50 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork and a meat thermometer reads 165° for stuffing.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining butter and lemon juice. Serve with salmon. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Stuffed Salmon in Country Woman June/July 2008, p29