After hearing the recipe described at a local Italian restaurant, I decided to try to make these peppers at home. Everyone enjoyed the pretty green “shells” brimming with a hearty filling.
Recommended: 45 Surprising Foods You Can (and Should!) Grill
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 large green peppers
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- Additional shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove stems and seeds. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the tomato, cheeses, basil and oregano. Crumble sausage over mixture and mix well. Spoon into pepper halves.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Place peppers over drip pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and peppers are tender. Sprinkle with additional cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Stuffed Peppers in Country June/July 2009, p51
Reviews forGrilled Stuffed Peppers
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 24, 2012
"This recipe is really easy and VERY tasty! The only thing I would change is to maybe bore a small hole in the pepper to allow for the sausage grease to drain."