Grilled Stuffed Meat Loaf
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Grill: 50 min. + standing
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, milk, oats, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat beef mixture into a 12x8-in. rectangle; spoon mushroom mixture to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Discard foil.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Form a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 14 in. square); cut three slits in foil. Place meat loaf on foil; place on the grill rack over drip pan.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 35 minutes. Combine sauce ingredients; brush over loaf. Grill, covered, 15-20 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 266 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Aug 15, 2016
Excellent meatloaf recipe. First time I had ever cooked one on the grill and it was a great way to do it without heating up the oven (and the house). I added a couple of baked potatoes to the grill rack when we put the meatloaf on and supper was nearly complete--just heated up a bag of frozen peas and added one of my homemade oatmeal dinner rolls. I loved the addition of the saut?ed mushrooms and onions in the middle.
Nov 21, 2013
I cook this in the oven at 375 on a small slotted broiler pan. I cover it for 30 minutes. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, then cover with ketchup mix. Cook another 10 minutes. I season it with Greek seasoning and replace the oats with seasoned bread crumbs. Love this recipe! My family loves it too.
Aug 25, 2013
Very good recipe although I used 1 lb Italian Sausage and 1 lb ground beef. A also added 2 T fresh oregano and 1 cup grated cheese to the onion/mushroom stuffing.
Aug 24, 2013
OMG! This was the most tasteless waste of time! There is nothing in the meatloaf mix to lend any flavor. Ground beef, minimal salt for one and one half lbs. of ground beef, oatmeal and one egg. Where is the flavor? Families request to make it again? Why? We threw our leftovers in the garbage can.
Aug 23, 2013
EXCELLENT I JUST ADDED GARLIC TOO
Jul 6, 2013
Great idea, but rolling it seemed too complicated to do with small kids, so I mixed all the ingredients up. We don't have a grill, so I cooked it in a 7x11 pan in the oven at 350 until it was 160 degrees. It tasted okay; our other meatloaf recipe is much better, but it's hard to beat Alton Brown...
Aug 20, 2012
excellent - very moist!
Oct 20, 2011
This was a very moist and delicious meatloaf. My family loved it and have made it many times.
Jul 25, 2011
this is an excellent way of getting out of the kitchen in the summer. I changed it a bit adding spinach and shredded mozzarella to thel stuffing mix, also instead of rolling the meat mixture, i made it like a boat filled it and then put the topper on it and sealed the edges...yumbo....heat out of the kitchen....
Jun 7, 2011
Excellent Recipe! I've shared with others!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.