With plenty of sliced steak and veggies, this main dish salad will please even the biggest appetites. It's a terrific dinner on hot summer days or any time you feel like grilling. —Mildred Sherrer, Roanoke, Texas
Recommended: Top 10 Grilled Steak Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained and sliced
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Combine the salt, garlic powder and pepper; rub over steak. Lightly oil grill rack.
- Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- Place onion slices on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around onion and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 16-20 minutes or until onions are tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
- Let steak stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the greens, beans, red peppers and grilled onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, basil, oil and mustard. Pour 1/4 cup over salad; toss to coat. Divide among four salad plates. Slice flank steak across the grain; arrange over salads. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Steak Salad in Country Woman May/June 2005, p36
Reviews forGrilled Steak Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 27, 2014
"Very disappointing flavor, strong vinegar taste over powers even the grilled onions."
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2011
"One of my favorite salads"