Grilled Steak Salad with Fruit
Bring an impressive meal to the table with Candice Garcia's tropical take on steak salad. The Winter Haven, Florida cook's combination of ingredients is mouthwatering!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1 medium mango, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup julienned peeled jicama
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 teaspoons honey
- In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Pour 3 tablespoons marinade into a shallow dish; add the steak and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Divide the romaine, mango, jicama, onion and steak between two serving plates. Stir honey into reserved marinade; drizzle over salads.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 430 calories, 20g fat (4g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 9g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Steak Salad with Cilantro Oil in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008