Bring an impressive meal to the table with Candice Garcia's tropical take on steak salad. The Winter Haven, Florida cook's combination of ingredients is mouthwatering!
Recommended: 32 Super Steak Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 pound boneless beef sirloin steak
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1 medium mango, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup julienned peeled jicama
- 1 small red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 teaspoons honey
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Pour 3 tablespoons marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Divide the romaine, mango, jicama, onion and steak between two serving plates. Stir honey into reserved marinade; drizzle over salads. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Steak Salad with Fruit in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p18