My husband and I and our four children are missionaries to Australia. We use this great tasting marinade just about every time we barbecue, which is often in this sunny part of the world.—Jennie Sauvageot of Pailba, Queensland
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + marinating Grill: 10 min.
- 6 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Pour a fourth of the marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade for basting.
- Drain and discard marinade from steak. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°), basting occasionally with reserved marinade.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 251 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 600mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Grilled Sirloin Steak in Light & Tasty August/September 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.