Grilled Sirloin with Chili-Beer Barbecue Sauce
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Grill: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 beef top sirloin steaks (1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until thickened. Set aside 3/4 cup and keep warm.
- Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 9-13 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium 160°; well-done 170°), basting occasionally with remaining sauce. Slice meat and serve with reserved sauce.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked steak with about 1 tablespoon sauce: 263 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 807mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 37g protein.
Jul 12, 2014
Absolutely loved this! Forgot to baste with the sauce during grilling, so ended up pouring sauce over all of the steak during plating...but still so wonderful. I think this would be good with flat iron or another cut of steak as well.
Sep 26, 2011
This was so incredibly good! I didn't have soy sauce so I subbed one tablespoon of Hoisin Sauce. This was sooo good I used what was left on boneless/skinless chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces, shook in cornstarch, then pan fried in a combination of olive and canola oils. Drained them on papertowels then put them in a large bowl and tossed them with the rest of this sauce. Served it over rice and my husband and two boys said to definitely make again!! This is a versatile sauce that can be used many ways! Also, I couldn't find just one bottle of beer, but I found Kroger carries individual bottles of beer for sale and I used Icehouse.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.