Grilled Sirloin Salad
"I love to put together healty dishes from a variety of foods," Nicole Bresee writes from Westport, Ontario. "My husband, Steve, especially likes salad, and I like steak, so this recipe really suits us.—Nicole Bresee, Westport, Ontario
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large shallow dish, combine 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar; add the steak and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place onion and green pepper on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly; set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Grill vegetable packet, covered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.
- Let steak stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the salad greens, raspberries and grilled vegetables. In a small bowl, whisk the salt, pepper and remaining oil and vinegar; pour over salad and toss to coat. Slice steak across the grain; arrange over salad.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 441 calories, 33g fat (6g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 371mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Grilled Steak Salad in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005