"I love to put together healty dishes from a variety of foods," Nicole Bresee writes from Westport, Ontario. "My husband, Steve, especially likes salad, and I like steak, so this recipe really suits us.—Nicole Bresee, Westport, Ontario
Recommended: 24 Game-Changing Grilling Recipes For Two
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar, divided
- 1/2 pound boneless beef sirloin steak
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar; add the steak. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place onion and green pepper on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. square). Fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly. Cut about six 1-in. slits in top of packet; set aside.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Drain and discard marinade. Grill steak, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Grill vegetable packet for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning once.
- Let steak stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the salad greens, raspberries and grilled vegetables. In a small bowl, whisk the salt, pepper and remaining oil and vinegar; pour over salad and toss to coat. Slice steak across the grain; arrange over salad. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Sirloin Salad in Cooking for 2 Summer 2005, p 49