- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 32)
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large saucepan, combine the first 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons juice (save remaining juice for another use); set pineapple aside. Stir reserved juice into sauce. Pour half into a small bowl for basting; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining sauce into a large resealable plastic bag; add shrimp. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Drain and discard marinade. Alternately thread the shrimp, pineapple, green pepper and onion on eight metal or soaked wooden skewers.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill kabobs, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 5 minutes on each side or until shrimp turn pink, basting occasionally with reserved sauce. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forGrilled Shrimp Kabobs
"Great kabbobs! Good tasting, you'll want more. We added some chicken cubes into the mix, doubled everything but the shrimp. Turned out wonderful. This allowed us to have 2 pices of shrimp and chicken on each kabob. This double batch produced 20 kabobs, we only ate 10 and now have leftovers for tomorrow, so even if you follow the recipe, it will feed a family of 5.Only negative was the prep, this isn't quick, especially when you add in the 2-3 hours of marinating. I made these after work, but we could only marinate for an hour. I'll be making these again."
"My aunt and I didn't marinate it for 2-3 hours, but for at least an hour and it was sooo good. I couldn't believe how much I ate."
"These are really good. The shrimp is a nice change of pace from regular kabob recipes."