VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 orange peel strips (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 boneless pork loin chops (1 inch thick and 6 ounces each)
- 4 wooden skewers (5 inches)
- Ground salted peanuts and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Cool for 10 minutes; set aside 1/3 cup for basting.
- Cut pork chops in half widthwise. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Drain and discard marinade. Insert a soaked skewer into each chop. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160°, basting frequently with reserved marinade. Coat chops with peanuts and cilantro if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Red-Cooked Pork Chops in Fresh Home Summer 2010, p99