Grilled Rack of Lamb
Whenever my husband and I really want to impress guests, we make this rack of lamb. The marinade keeps the meat juicy and tender while grilling. —Gail Cawsey, Geneseo, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Grill: 15 min.
- 2 cups apple cider or juice
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup steak sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 racks of lamb (1-1/2 to 2 pounds each)
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Remove 1 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate. Pour the remaining marinade into a shallow dish; add lamb and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight, turning once or twice.
- Drain and discard the marinade. Cover rib ends of lamb with foil. Lightly oil the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 15 minutes.
- Baste with reserved marinade. Grill or broil 5-10 minutes longer or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), basting occasionally.
Originally published as Grilled Rack of Lamb in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001