Grilled Prosciutto-Cheddar Sandwiches with Onion Jam Recipe
April is National Grilled Cheese Month, honoring the gooey greatness of toasted bread and melted cheese. The modern version may have started in the 1920s, when sliced bread and American cheese became available. For a modern version full of comfy farmhouse flavors, use raisin bread with onion jam, prosciutto and cheddar. —Susan Andrichuk, New York, New York
- ONION JAM:
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons apricot preserves
- 8 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or deli ham
- 4 slices aged cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1. For jam, place onions and wine in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in the honey, vinegar, pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until liquid is evaporated.
- 2. Stir in preserves; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until onions are glazed. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 3. Spread four bread slices with onion jam. Layer with prosciutto and cheese. Top with remaining bread. Butter outsides of sandwiches.
- 4. In a large skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 sandwiches (1/2 cup onion jam).
1 sandwich: 544 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1093mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 6g fiber), 22g protein.
Reviews for Grilled Prosciutto-Cheddar Sandwiches with Onion Jam
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC