Grilled Potato Salad with Balsamic Dressing
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 6 medium red potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), quartered
- 2-1/4 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 poblano pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; toss potatoes with oil.
- Place potatoes in a grill wok or basket. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 8-12 minutes or golden brown, stirring frequently. Transfer to a large salad bowl; add the spinach, corn, peppers and onions. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Add garlic and shallots; cook for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in the vinegar, mustard and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drizzle over potato mixture and gently toss to coat. Sprinkle with eggs and sunflower kernels. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 166 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 9, 2015
We like our bacon crispy, so I sprinkled the diced bacon (8 strips) last and mixed it all together. Was very good. The Balsamic vinegar gives it an fresh and tart taste. Also, I left out the corn - enough starch in the salad.
Apr 28, 2010
This is wonderful! I grilled the peppers and onions for a more smokey flavor. This competes with some of my favorite restaurant salads!