Grilled Potato Salad with Balsamic Dressing
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 6 medium red potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), quartered
- 2-1/4 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 poblano pepper, seeded and julienned
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; toss potatoes with oil.
- Place potatoes in a grill wok or basket. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 8-12 minutes or golden brown, stirring frequently. Transfer to a large salad bowl; add the spinach, corn, peppers and onions. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Add garlic and shallots; cook for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Stir in the vinegar, mustard and pepper. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drizzle over potato mixture and gently toss to coat. Sprinkle with eggs and sunflower kernels. Serve immediately.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 166 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 170mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Jun 9, 2015
We like our bacon crispy, so I sprinkled the diced bacon (8 strips) last and mixed it all together. Was very good. The Balsamic vinegar gives it an fresh and tart taste. Also, I left out the corn - enough starch in the salad.
Apr 28, 2010
This is wonderful! I grilled the peppers and onions for a more smokey flavor. This competes with some of my favorite restaurant salads!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.