Grilled Portobello Sandwiches Recipe
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 portobello mushrooms (about 1 pound), stems removed
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces each) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa and sour cream
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms and onion; turn to coat.
- 2. Coat a grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Grill onion over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning often. Remove and set aside. Grill mushrooms for 3-4 minutes, turning every minute or until lightly browned. Remove and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- 3. Layer mushroom and onion on half of each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Fold tortilla over filling. Grill for 1-2 minutes on each side or until browned and cheese is melted. Serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 4 servings.
TEST KITCHEN TIP Whole mushroom caps are easier to grill than slice mushrooms, and they maintain their flavor and texture well. Thinly slice before assembling the sandwich.
1 each: 583 calories, 32g fat (15g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 928mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 26g protein.