Grilled Portobello Sandwiches
This sandwich is so good, I've actually made one just for myself, and I don't usually do that. The flavor is absolutely wonderful!—Diane Werner, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 to 5 portobello mushrooms (about 1 pound), stems removed
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces each) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa and sour cream
- In a shallow bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms and onion; turn to coat.
- Coat a grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Grill onion over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning often. Remove and set aside. Grill mushrooms for 3-4 minutes, turning every minute or until lightly browned. Remove and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- Layer mushroom and onion on half of each tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Fold tortilla over filling. Grill for 1-2 minutes on each side or until browned and cheese is melted. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
TEST KITCHEN TIP Whole mushroom caps are easier to grill than sliced mushrooms, and they maintain their flavor and texture well. Thinly slice before assembling the sandwich.