Grilled Pear Sundaes
Who says you can't make dessert on the grill? Our home economists whipped up this comforting treat that's sure to turn heads…and keep healthy-eating commitments. Sweetened with cinnamon-sugar, the warm and tender pear slices are served alongside a little vanilla ice cream.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 medium ripe pears
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups reduced-fat no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream
- 3 teaspoons honey
- Peel, halve and core pears; cut each half lengthwise into six wedges. Mix sugar, cinnamon and pepper; sprinkle over pears.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Grill pears, covered, over indirect medium heat 2-3 minutes on each side or until tender.
- Serve pears with ice cream. Drizzle with honey.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 150 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Grilled Pear Sundae in Light & Tasty June/July 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.