Grilled Mixed Green Salad
“Grilling the lettuce adds smoky flavor and takes a simple salad to a whole new level. The fruits and nuts offer different dimensions of flavor and texture.” Janice Elder - Charlotte, North Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 heads Belgian endive, halved lengthwise
- 2 bunches romaine, halved lengthwise
- 1 head radicchio, quartered lengthwise
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Brush the endive, romaine and with 3 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill the greens, uncovered, over medium heat for 30 seconds on each side or until heated through.
- Chop the greens and place in a large serving bowl. Whisk vinegar and remaining oil; drizzle over greens and toss to coat. Top with blueberries, apple, walnuts and cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 117 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Grilled Mixed Green Salad with Blueberries, Apple and Walnuts in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.