Grilled Mediterranean Eggplant & Tomato Salad
A friend of mine served a delicious grilled eggplant salad when she had me over for dinner, and I was so inspired that I went home and re-created it! —Jenn Tidwell, Fair Oaks, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1-1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Brush eggplant with 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with thyme and oregano. Grill, covered, over medium heat 3-4 minutes on each side or until tender. When cool enough to handle, cut into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine to pan; cook, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook 2-3 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated.
- In a large bowl, combine eggplant, mushroom mixture, tomatoes, parsley and vinegar. Add cheese; toss to combine.
Originally published as Grilled Mediterranean Eggplant Salad in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014