Grilled Mango-Glazed Ham
I'm always looking for new ways to prepare ham...but many of my cookbooks have the same old tried-and-true glazes," say Sandy Lewis from Appleton, Wisconsin. "When I tried this one, I knew I had hit the jackpot!
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + Grill: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 medium ripe mango or 2 medium ripe peaches, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 fully cooked boneless ham steak (about 2 pounds)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, jalapeno and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until glaze is thick and caramelized. Strain and cool. Place mango in a food processor or blender; cover and process until smooth. Stir into glaze; set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of ham steak with pepper. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes on each side or until heated through. Brush both sides of ham with mango glaze; grill 5 minutes longer. Serve ham with remaining glaze.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked ham with 2 tablespoons glaze: 207 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 1178mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Grilled Mango-Glazed Ham in Light & Tasty August/September 2003