I'm always looking for new ways to prepare ham...but many of my cookbooks have the same old tried-and-true glazes," say Sandy Lewis from Appleton, Wisconsin. "When I tried this one, I knew I had hit the jackpot!
Recommended: Top 10 Grilled Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 medium ripe mango or 2 medium ripe peaches, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 bone-in fully cooked lean ham steak (about 2 pounds)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, jalapeno and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until glaze is thick and caramelized. Strain and cool. Place mango in a food processor or blender; cover and process until smooth. Stir into glaze; set aside.
- Coat grill with cooking spray before starting the grill. Sprinkle both sides of ham steak with pepper. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10 minutes on each side or until heated through. Brush both sides of ham with mango glaze; grill 5 minutes longer. Serve ham with remaining glaze. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Grilled Mango-Glazed Ham in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p10