- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 4 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add spinach; cook and stir just until wilted.
- Mix first nine burger ingredients. Add turkey; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- Place burgers on an oiled grill rack over medium heat. Grill, covered, until a thermometer reads 165°, 4-6 minutes per side.
- Top with cheese; grill, covered, until cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve on buns. Top with mushroom mixture. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forGrilled Italian Turkey Burgers
"They held together well here but lacked Italian flavor. The sweetness was what we tasted more. The provolone is a good choice though. Wouldn't do again."
"These burgers had great flavor, but I had a hard time keeping the patties together. They were falling apart while grilling. Also, only making 4 would have been too large a portion. I made into 5 burgers, but otherwise followed the recipe as provided."